COMPREHENSIVE METABOLIC PANEL (CMP)
A comprehensive metabolic panel (CMP) is a test that measures 14 different substances in your blood. It provides important information about your body’s chemical balance and metabolism. Metabolism is the process of how the body uses food and energy.
WHY COMPREHENSIVE METABOLIC PANEL IS PERFORMED?
A Comprehensive metabolic panel test is a chain of tests that are used to measure levels of 14 different substances in your body. It is also known as the Chemistry Panel of Chem 14. CMP test is performed to check the overall metabolism and how well a human body is functioning. CMP test is carried out to check the metabolism, chemical balance, and fluid balanced in a human body.
Measurement and testing of following are involved in the CMP test:
- GLUCOSE: It is a major source through which the human body gets energy and it is a type of sugar.
- CALCIUM: Calcium is a mineral found in the human body that is very beneficial for the appropriate working of the heart, muscles, and nerves.
- SODIUM, POTASSIUM, CARBON DIOXIDE, AND CHLORIDE: All of these 4 are electrolytes. Maintains the levels of acids and bases as well as levels of fluids. These are the electrically charged minerals.
- ALBUMIN: It is a type of protein that is produced in the liver.
- TOTAL PROTEIN: A Total protein test is performed to measure the overall amount of protein in the human body.
- ALP: Alkaline Phosphate. It is a type of enzyme produced by the liver.
- ALT: Alanine Transaminase. It is a type of enzyme produced by the liver.
- AST: Aspartate Aminotransferase. It is a type of enzyme produced by the liver.
- BILIRUBIN: The Liver is responsible for producing a waste product called Bilirubin.
- BUN (BLOOD UREA NITROGEN) AND CREATININE: Both of them are waste products. The kidneys remove these remove them from your blood.
HOW CMP IS PERFORMED?
A blood sample is drawn from the vein of the arm. A little needle is inserted into the vein and a sample of your blood is collected into a test tube. The sample is then sent to the lab for further testing. It is a regular health checkup that is carried out by a doctor to examine your overall health.
It depends on why you are getting tested for CMP. Generally, you need to fast (not to drink or eat anything) for about 8 hours before the CMP test.
WHAT DOES THE RESULT MEAN?
There is a column in your test report where the normal range of these 14 substances is given. If your test results are within the reference range it is considered as you are normal and your metabolism is not compromised. But if the measurements are higher or lower that means there is something wrong.
Awami Lab facilitates you with the best lab services, our lab technicians are well trained and professional and know how to treat each and every patient. The reports of the CMP test results are 100% accurate and authentic. Our labs are completely well equipped with the latest technologies so that the result can be more clear and accurate. Let Awami Lab serve you for the CMP test as we have specialists who will perform the test in a very hygienic environment.
3CC SERUM OR FLUORIDE SAMPLE