WHAT IS HB ELECTROPHORESIS TEST?
HB electrophoresis is also referred to as a sickle cell screen or hemoglobin evaluation test. Hemoglobin is a different type of protein in your red blood cells, which is being measured through the HB electrophoresis test. Inside red blood cells hemoglobin is present that is capable of transferring oxygen to the other organs and tissues of the human body. It is a type of blood test by which various types of hemoglobin is measured.
Genetic mutation is the reason due to which a human body generates hemoglobin that is incorrectly developed. Because of this incorrect formation of abnormal hemoglobin, a very less amount of oxygen is transmitted to the tissues and other parts of the body.
There a few reasons why your doctor may consider performing an HB electrophoresis is done.
- For a regular routine inspection: During a regular physical your doctor may perform hemoglobin
testation to follow up on a complete blood test.
- To identify blood abnormalities: If any symptoms and signs of anemia are being observed by your doctor then the HB electrophoresis test is done. This test is carried out for the diagnosis of any abnormal types of hemoglobin in the bloodstream. The symptoms of disorders could be the following:
- Sickle cell anemia.
- Polycythemia vera.
- For the observation of treatment: If you are going through a treatment in which abnormal types of hemoglobin are being observed. Levels of different forms of hemoglobin are measured with this test.
- To screen for genetic conditions: If anybody has a family background history of inherited anemia like Thalassemia or sickle cell anemia so before having children it is necessary to monitor for genetic disorders. Infants are also advised to screen for genetic hemoglobin disorders routinely if the parents have a family history of hemoglobin disorders.
The symptoms are as follows:
- Bone problems.
- Poor appetite.
- Liver issues such as the enlarged liver.
- Enlarged spleen.
- Dark-colored urine.
- Jaundice (a condition when skin color turns yellowish).
- Breathing issues (shortness of breath).
- Hands and feet coldness.
There is no need for any kind of special preparation before HB electrophoresis as it is a simple blood test.
HOW THIS TEST IS CONDUCTED?
A fine needle is inserted in the vein of the arm and a blood sample is collected in a tube. The sample is then sent to the laboratory for further procedures and calculations. “Heel stick collection” method is used to draw a blood sample from the babies.
AWAMI LAB BLOOD TEST SERVICES
Awami Lab ensures to provide the best health care services to its customers. We offer complete health check-up packages and individual lab tests. We proudly say that our team has professional lab technicians and phlebotomists. We make sure that the reports are sent to the patient as soon as possible so that their concerned doctor may proceed with further treatment immediately. Awami lab blood tests are performed in a hygienic environment.