WHAT IS RENAL FUNCTION TEST?
The renal function test is also known as Kidney Panel or kidney function panel. A human body has 2 kidneys on either side of the spine. Kidneys are a very important organ of a human body as they are responsible for the excretion of waste products. Through urine, these waste products are eliminated from the human body. The kidneys also help in controlling the levels of water, regulating salts, and other minerals in your blood. If your doctor observes that your kidneys are not working properly then renal function tests are performed. Renal blood tests are a chain of blood and urine tests. Blood tests indicate how efficiently kidneys are working and fast waste products are expelled from the blood. Urine test looks for whether the kidneys are leaking odd levels of protein, which may result in kidney diseases.
The common blood and urine lab tests that are conducted to evaluate the working of kidneys are as follows.
- BUN (BLOOD UREA NITROGEN): Calculates the amount of nitrogen and analyze waste products in the blood.
- CREATININE-BLOOD: Checks if the creatinine is formed in your blood because kidneys generally filter all the creatinine from the blood. It is a blood test.
- CREATININE CLEARANCE: It is a urine test that matches the level of creatinine from the sample to check how much waste products are filtered each minute.
- CREATININE-URINE: Checks the amount of creatinine in urine and how well the kidneys are working.
WHY GET TESTED?
If a person has diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, cardiovascular disease, elevated levels of cholesterol, or a family history of kidney diseases then in such cases a doctor may conduct a renal function test. When some signs of kidney diseases are becoming obvious to the doctor then he orders a renal function test.
- Suspects the actual working condition of the kidneys.
- To diagnose kidney disease or for the purpose of monitoring the treatment.
- To check the levels of minerals in your bloodstream.
- To check if due to any other medications the kidneys are being affected.
The symptoms that may indicate damage in the kidneys are as follows.
- High blood pressure.
- Bleeding in the urine.
- Repeated urges to urinate.
- Trouble beginning urination.
- Painful urination.
- Swelling of the hands and feet (due to a buildup of fluids in the body).
You need to fast for about 8 -12 hours before the test. No food only water.
AWAMI LAB SERVICES FOR RENAL FUNCTION TESTS
Awami labs perform renal function tests, as it has a set of tests that are performed so we make sure to facilitate our patients by offering them suitable packages that will be beneficial for them. Our labs are clean and fully equipped. We have modern machinery and equipment to perform the lab tests. Our lab technicians are professional and skillful. Special training is given to all the lab technicians when they are hired. Our professional lab phlebotomist knows how to handle patients and how to aware them about their overall health. We care for your health, avail our services and let us know how we may help you.